Check my claim Check claim
Or call free on:
We take your data seriously. See our privacy policy & terms.
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted by our partners.

When you submit your details, you'll be in safe hands. At Consumer Injury Claims, we work with various partners. All our solicitor partners are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Their friendly legal services advisers will call you to talk about your claim and give you free, no-obligation advice. Our Partners may pay us a marketing fee for our services.

By submitting your personal data, you agree for your details to be provided to our partner upon your request so they can contact you to discuss your claim.

If you win your case, your solicitor's success fee will be taken from the compensation you are awarded - up to a maximum of 25%. Your solicitor will discuss any fees with you before starting your case.

Ice and Snow Slips

Slips on Snow and Ice Injury Claims

Making a compensation claim after slips on snow or ice

Icy or snowy conditions can be vicious, but even in freezing conditions we still have to get on with our daily life.

Slips, slides, or falls can be painful, and it can take more time to heal causing long-lasting injuries. Backward fall can cause neck injuries like whiplash or back injuries. During the fall it is common for people to put their hands to catch the fall which can cause arm and wrist damage. If you have suffered from an injury because of a slippery condition on a path, walkway, or pavement because it hasn't been cleared. Then an expert legal advisor can help you make a compensation claim.

 You can contact one for free on   – they’ll listen to your every query and have to say about your damage and will then be able to inform you whether they think you can make a case or not.

Who’s responsible for keeping the footpath clear?

Your lawyer will be able to help you with this if you were not sure about who's responsible for the area where you injured.

Most footpaths are the responsibility of the city council or highway authority. As part of the Highways Act 1980. The city council is responsible for making the footpaths and pavements safe and clear from snow or ice.

 It would be difficult for them to clamp every stretch of road or footpath because the areas they cover are very huge. But they do have a legal duty to clear areas as far as is ‘reasonably possible’.

This means their first priority should be the places that are busier, or where there aren’t any other routes. For example, areas around school or high streets are their priorities.

You may be able to make a claim against the council or highway authority if you’ve slipped over in a busy area, or if a long period of time has passed since the snow or ice appeared and it still hasn’t been cleared.

Slips on ice or snow at work

At work in icy conditions slip and trips can happen, such as in the parking or on paths leading to the building. If your job involves you being outside often then you’re at mainly high risk of injury.

Your employer has a responsibility to take care to keep outside areas clear of ice and snow – if they haven’t done this then they’ve acted carelessly and might be responsible for your injury.

Your compensation will be paid by the employer’s insurance company, not by them personally.

Claiming for an accident at work

Slips on private property

It is the responsibility of the owners of supermarkets, shops, and bars to make sure that their customers or visitors are safe. They should take practicable precautions in freezing weather to avoid injuries.

The government has a set of recommendations for clearing snow and ice for landowners, including:

We know it can be tough to prove whether or not a landowner has followed these steps, but if you’re damaged following a slip on snow or ice on personal property, then you might still be able to claim.

Can you make a compensation claim?

You might be unconfident whether you could make a compensation claim for your slip or fall, but you can speak to expert legal advice to help you find out whether you can make a compensation claim or not. After you speak to the legal advisor they’ll ask you about your accident and injury to get a better idea of your condition and the impact the injury had on your life.

You can freely ask any questions and get advice – But the legal advisor can not force you in any way it is up to you that you can leave it there. If you decide that you want to go ahead and make a claim then your legal advisor will help you find a suitable solicitor for your case.

  Claim using no win no fee

The answer is yes – mostly all personal injury claims are made on a no win no fee basis. It means you give a fee to the solicitor only if you win the case there are no hidden fees and there are not any upfront costs. If you lose your case then you are not left with a bill you can't afford