Check my claim Check claim
Or call free on:
0203 603 7712
We take your data seriously. See our privacy policy & terms.
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted by our partners.

When you submit your details, you'll be in safe hands. Our partners are National Accident Helpline (a brand of National Accident Law, a firm of personal injury solicitors regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority). They are the UK's leading personal injury service. Their friendly legal services advisers will call you to talk about your claim and give you free, no-obligation advice. National Accident Law may pay us a marketing fee for our services.

By submitting your personal data, you agree for your details to be sent to National Accident Law so they can contact you to discuss your claim.

If you win your case, your solicitor's success fee will be taken from the compensation you are awarded - up to a maximum of 25%. Your solicitor will discuss any fees before starting your case.

Serious Accidents

Serious Injury Claims

Making a claim following a serious accident

Of course, compensation can give you the satisfaction that your bills will be covered and that you will have the amount to assist you going forward. But more than that, a critical injury claim gives you the opportunity to hold somebody accountable for your damage and the effect it is had on your daily life.

Can I make a claim?

It is likely you will be eligible to make a personal injury claim if your answer to the following queries is ‘yes’:

Did your accident occur in the last three years?

Did you affect a critical injury?

Was your damage caused by someone else?

However, because accidents differ so much, we know it can be difficult for you to tell straight away whether you have a claim – for example, you may be not clear who was at mistake for your accident.

The best way to search out is to be in contact with an expert legal advisor. They will ask few queries about your accident to get a clearer picture of what occurred and whether you could get compensation.

Can I claim on someone else’s behalf?

You may be eligible to begin a claim on behalf of someone else – particularly if your close one has suffered an injury that is left them unable to act on their own behalf – like as a head or brain injury– or if they are under the age of 18.

But even if you are only looking for advice for them, you can still seek assistance. Please call an expert legal advisor for free on 0203 603 7712.

What will my compensation cover?

You can be sure your legal advisor will take absolutely everything into consideration so that you are fairly compensated for the effect your damage has had so far, as well as in the future.

With that in mind, your legal advisor will consider:

The severity of your damage and the effect it will have on your ability to work, study and be independent.

The care you have received, even when given for free by a family member.

Any expenses you have had to cover because of your accident.

Any treatment or equipment you might require.

As part of your claim, your compensation will also likely be categorized into three categories – general damages, special damages, and immediate needs payments.

General damages

General damages cover your ‘ache, suffering and loss of amenity’.

This basically means your compensation is worked out based on any reduction to yours (or a closed one’s) physical, mental or financial capability – so it is not just restricted to the physical injury itself.

Special damages

Special damages compensation is designed to repay you for the costs of your damage, involving replacing the loss of earnings, the expenses of transport, and any equipment you might need.

It also looks at the potentially lost wages in the future and things you may have required to purchase to make your life simpler.

Immediate needs

Immediate needs are things considered to be urgent or severe to you now. This type of compensation comes before your final settlement, to assist you and your family covers the immediate costs of your injuries.

Immediate needs are awarded on an assessment basis, judged case-by-case – but they are something your legal advisor can assist you access if they feel you need financial support before your serious injury claim is settled.

Immediate needs compensation can cover the following things:

Home and transport: for example, the expenses of getting to the hospital – or if you are getting reduced wages or no pay due to having to take time off work.

Supporting equipment: this would involve the expense of any equipment you require or adaptations to your home (e.g. to make it more accessible)

Treatment or care: any private clinical or care expenses can be involved.

Is there a time boundation in making a claim?

In most cases, you have three years from when you became aware of your injury to begin your claim, otherwise, you may be ‘time-barred’. Ideally, you should consult a legal advisor as soon as possible after the accident while the incident is still fresh in your mind and that of any witnesses.

If you are claiming on behalf of your child, they have until they reach 21 years of age to make a claim; and if you are claiming on behalf of somebody under a mental disability, the three-year period does not start to run until they have regained their mental capacity.

How long does it take to get compensation?

The quantity of time it will take you to get your compensation can differ a lot from case to case. For example, it can depend on:

How complicated your case is

The extent of your damages.

How much compensation you are claiming.

Whether liability is admitted.

How long it takes to get clinical reports and other expert opinions.

Whether the other party is willing to agree on an out-of-court settlement.

Few private damages claims can be settled within months if the other party admits liability early on. But if your case is complicated, the other side denies responsibility, or your case goes to court, then it can take longer.

If your damages are more critical, your legal advisor will want to wait until you have a final prognosis for how long your recovery’s likely to take before compensation is paid, as it is not possible to go back to ask for more amount once your case has been solved.

Could I make my claim on a no win no fee basis?

Almost all damage claims are made on a no win no fee basis. The benefit of this is that you won’t have to pay your legal advisor any money if your claim is not successful, and the other side’s expenses are usually covered by insurance.

If you win your claim, then you will require to pay your solicitor a ‘success fee’ out of the compensation you get. The percentage your legal advisor will take will be talked about and agreed upon with you before commencing your case.

Can I still claim if I was partly by mistake?

In few cases, you can still claim compensation even if you were partly at fault, as so long as the negligence of somebody else also partly caused your damages. This is called ‘contributory negligence’.

Will my case have to go to court?       

Not all claims have to go to court. Your legal advisor will work hard to transfer with the other party to try and reach a settlement before the case reaches trial. They will also give you advice and guidance as to whether any offers of compensation are reasonable.