Check my claim Check claim
Or call free on:
0203 603 7712
We take your data seriously. See our privacy policy & terms.
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted by our partners.

When you submit your details, you'll be in safe hands. Our partners are National Accident Helpline (a brand of National Accident Law, a firm of personal injury solicitors regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority). They are the UK's leading personal injury service. Their friendly legal services advisers will call you to talk about your claim and give you free, no-obligation advice. National Accident Law may pay us a marketing fee for our services.

By submitting your personal data, you agree for your details to be sent to National Accident Law so they can contact you to discuss your claim.

If you win your case, your solicitor's success fee will be taken from the compensation you are awarded - up to a maximum of 25%. Your solicitor will discuss any fees before starting your case.

Car Accident Claims

Car Accident Injury Advice

A car crash can be very dangerous, and even minor car accidents can cause painful long-lasting injuries.

After a car accident, it’s necessary to go to a hospital or see a doctor as soon as possible. Before your condition gets worse you’ll get the treatment you need. To make a car accident claim medical evidence can also help.

If possible, you should gather as much information as possible while you’re still at the scene of the accident to give you the best chance of making a successful claim. For example, it can be helpful to gather:

Then, you can contact a trained legal adviser on 0203 603 7712 as soon as possible. They’ll inform you whether they think you can make a claim and will be glad to answer your questions.

Starting a car accident claim

For starting a car accident claim with an expert lawyer. The first step is to contact a trained legal adviser for free on 0203 603 7712 to find out whether you are able to make a claim.

To get a better understanding of what you’ve been through they’ll ask you some questions about your injury and accident on call.

You’re under no responsibility to go ahead with a claim when you speak to an adviser, so if you’re just looking for answers to your questions, that’s fine too – they’re glad to help.

If you do decide you’d like to take the next level, the adviser can put you in touch with an experienced lawyer on the same call. Then they’ll go through the claims process in more detail and how no win no fee claims work.

Then, if you’re still glad to go ahead, your lawyer will contact the other party and will arrange on your behalf. They’ll do most of the hard work for you, but will stay with you and keep you updated on how your case is going.

Types of injuries caused by car accidents

Because of the nature of car accidents, the types of injuries can range from minor scratches and bruises to serious, lifelong disability. Cars can also be involved in accidents with larger vehicles, such as busses or trucks, which can cause more serious injuries.

If it wasn’t your fault if you were involved in a car accident, it’s likely we can help you claim for almost any type of injury, such as:

Claiming against an uninsured or untraced driver

You might still be able to make a claim if your car accident was caused by an uninsured or trackless driver.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) provides compensation in these cases. It’s funded by a small grant from every vehicle insurance premium taken out in the UK.

 A hit and run driver you should:

Since August 2015 if you have complete insurance coverage you need to claim for any damage to your vehicle from your own insurer. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau will only consider vehicle damage claims if you don’t have complete insurance. You can claim from Motor Insurers’ Bureau for any personal injury you have suffered.

How much compensation will you receive?

The compensation you receive split into two parts – general damages and special damages. This means you’ll be covered for the pain and suffering caused by your accident, as well as any financial effect on you and your family.

We’ve involved some more information about the different types of damages below:

General damages – cover pain and suffering caused by the injuries you’ve suffered. General damages will also be awarded for any impact on your day-to-day life – for example, if you’ve missed out on any hobbies or sports.

Special damages – Cover any pocket expenses caused by your accident. This includes loss of savings, medical expenses, travel costs, equipment, and care, as well as any necessary modifications to your home.

Can you claim if the car accident was partly your fault?

You may still be able to claim compensation if your car accident was partly your fault, but it depends on how much the court thinks you’re to blame for your injuries.

The case law shows there are no hard and fast rules this will be decided on a case-by-case basis as to how much your compensation will be reduced if contributory carelessness is found.

Make claim on behalf of a child

Road accidents can be dangerous if your child was injured as result. We can’t take away what you or this will be decided on a case by case basis. , but an expert lawyer can help you make a compensation claim on their behalf.

You can make a claim on behalf of your children any time till they turn 18, they can make a claim for themselves up to three years after their 18th birthday.

Time take to receive your compensation

The time takes to make a car accident claim can depend on how complex your case is and how serious your injuries are, as well as:

If your injuries are minor, then your claim could be settled in a matter of months if the other party accepts liability straight away. But if you’re badly injured, liability is denied or your case has to go to court, it can take much longer.

If it takes a long time for a settlement to be reached and you’re running short of money because of your injuries, it might be possible for your lawyer to help you get an ‘interim payment’. The amount of compensation that can be paid to you before your final settlement to cover any immediate costs. Your lawyer will talk this through with you.

The Road Traffic Accident Personal Injury Scheme

In 2010, the government uncover the Road Traffic Accident Personal Injury Scheme (also called the Claims Portal) with the aim of reducing the time and costs of lower-value personal injury claims arising from road traffic accidents.

At first, the scheme covered compensation claims where the expected value was between £1,000 and £10,000, however, the upper limit was increased in 2013 to £25,000. The main target is qualifying claims settled within six months.

If your car accident claim amount is at £25,000 or less, you should receive your compensation a lot be followed for any road accident compensation claim worth £25,000 or less. The scheme also clarifies the whole process of claiming compensation, removing a lot of the stress involved.

Is  RTA claims the same as other personal injury claims?

RTAs have a unique protocol, meaning they are a bit different from other personal injury claims. This is known as the Pre-Action Protocol for Low-Value Personal Injury Claims in Road Traffic Accidents and should If your car accident claim amount is at £25,000 or less, you should receive your compensation a lot be followed for any road accident compensation claim worth £25,000 or less.

The Pre-Action Protocol acts as a recommendation on how the use and cost of medical reports are controlled and time limits for when information should be sent. It also sets recommendations on interim payments and when they should be made if they are applicable.

If one party obstructive fails to abide by the Protocol, the court may order costs against them too.

The certain exchange of information about your claim is also facilitated by the Claims Portal or RTA Personal Injury Scheme.